[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

White Lynx whitelynx at operamail.com
Thu Jun 8 00:24:36 PDT 2006

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> <formula> element is only needed for what is called "display equations" --
> they are rendered out of line, usually centered, and sometimes numbered.
>
> That way, inline math would require no special element at all -- just
> write math in the middle of a sentence, and it should work.  On the other
> hand, when math is put inside a <formula>, it's displayed on a line by
> itself, centered, numbered etc. And, by the way, one can actually have
> just plain text inside a formula, such as some statement in prose that
> needs to be centered and numbered like other formulae.
It matters from both structural (marks formula explicitly) and presentational
point of view (consider line breaks inside formulae, text justification algorithms that
should not affect math formulae, different fonts that user may want to use for text
and maths, possible CSS extensions like text-transformation:math-italic; etc.).