[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

White Lynx whitelynx at operamail.com
Wed Jun 14 03:10:52 PDT 2006

Oistein E. Andersen wrote:
> > This issue [font selection] belong to presentational layer and has to be addressed
> >on CSS side (there are no problems on XSL and/or DSSSL side as one can make
> >appropriate transformations).
>
> I am not so sure about that.

In fact I am not sure either.

> The difference between bold, italic and script
> can be just as important as the distinction between base, superscript and subscript.
> Explicit mark-up is provided in ISO-12083, MathML and TeX, among others,
> and mathemtical characters (which we would like to use, but cannot -- yet?)
> have been added to Unicode because of their semantical importance. If the removal
> of class attributes is supposed to preserve meaning, then it does not seem right
> to use this very attribute to encode different math alphabets.

Yes, one can add special attribute for this purpose. Do you have any concrete propopsal?

> > [classes:] "vector" or "Hilbert-vector" [or] "ket".
> >I would leave [the choice] to authors until that a generic
> >semantic markup was achieved, proved to be consistent and powerful and
> >then used by authors.
>
> With all the different concepts and notational conventions that exist in different
> scientific fields and mathematical disciplines, no such thing as a generic
> semantic mark-up is likely to appear any time soon. I tend to believe that you agree.

Agree. However those who are interested in generic semantic mark-up will have access
to semantic layer of current proposal via set of predefined attributes (currently
role and mprofile, extra attributes may be added after consultations with
people invloved in projects like OpenMath, CanonML etc.)