[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

juanrgonzaleza at canonicalscience.com juanrgonzaleza at canonicalscience.com
Thu Jun 15 09:31:52 PDT 2006

James Graham wrote:

> No it is not. You have demonstrated that CSS can do a mediocre job at
> simple mathematics. This is not an unimpressive achievement but neither
> does it suggest  that general maths layout based purely on CSS is
> possible without substantial  modifications to CSS itself.

Please define "mediocre job at simple mathematics" and "substantial
modifications to CSS itself".

It would be interesting too your evaluation of the job that p-MathML can
do in practice (e.g. IteX outputs on Firefox, MSIE, Safari, and Opera) and
comparison of realistic mathematical markup can be done with p-MathML
cannot be done in HTML5. By realistic, I mean can be achieved in practice,
with current tools and browsers.

Since MathML does not fit into the WHATWG philosophy, I would aknowledge
information about your own solution to the problem of mathematical markup
on the web.

Juan R.

Center for CANONICAL |SCIENCE)