[whatwg] On accessibility

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 14 19:42:41 PDT 2006

On Jun 14, 2006, at 9:47 PM, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:09:43 +0700, Lachlan Hunt
> <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:
>>
>> Accesskey implementations need to be seriously improved if they are
>> to be retained.  There's significant evidence to show that there are
>> very few, if any, safe keys available which don't clash with existing
>> shortcut keys in browsers.
>
> What Opera does makes sense. Maybe it should be standardized.

What Opera does is indeed very cool, but it's quite possible that
another browser could come up with something even cooler. And in this
area there is very little benefit from interoperability, so I don't see
any point in standardizing it. It would be like standardizing on vi.
(Or emacs.)

(There is actually *harm* from interoperability for accesskey=, from
Web authors cluttering pages with instructions on how to use access
keys because they're so non-obvious -- instructions that may be
incorrect for some platforms, depending on how they're worded, and that
are irrelevant for non-interactive UAs like Google.)

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/