[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Sat Jun 17 04:25:18 PDT 2006

Quoting White Lynx <whitelynx at operamail.com>:
> "Web application technologies SHOULD BE BASED ON technologies
> authors are familiar with,
> including HTML, CSS, DOM, AND JAVASCRIPT"

As it would work with that, it's not really a problem.

> "Basic Web application features SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTABLE using behaviors,
> scripting, and style sheets IN IE6 TODAY"

I guess that's possible.

> "Any solution that CANNOT BE USED with the current high-market-share user
> agent WITHOUT THE NEED FOR BINARY PLUG-INS is highly unlikely to be
> successful"

> "The core features of an XML vocabulary should require the use of elements
> from ONLY ONE NAMESPACE."

Is math really a core feature? Does it matter if we keep compatibility
with existing (deployed) formats in mind?

> "IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that authors BE ABLE TO MOVE FROM AN HTML ENVIRONMENT
> TO A CLEAN COMPOUND DOCUMENT ENVIRONMENT (typically first simply by
> moving to XHTML) IN A GRADUAL FASHION."

That seems to be what Ian is proposing (for math), more or less.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>