[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Jun 17 05:41:54 PDT 2006

Le 17 juin 2006 à 7:01, White Lynx a écrit :

> Yes, sup/sub will work like in HTML. This behavior is not perfect
> in case
> of resizable operators, fences, matrices and vectors however in
> this cases operator limits (llim/ulim) and fence markers (marker/
> submark) provide necessary functionality.

That's what I thought. I'm not sure I like the idea of expressing
exponents using either <sup> or <ulim> depending on what's preceding
it. So I thought I could suggest something else.

The goal of <fence> is to have resizable fence delimiters around an
expression. What makes <fence> so difficult to implement (hence the
abstract <fenced> element) is that it must support any arbitrary
height. But even with the help of <fenced> a big problem remains:
with current CSS capabilities, it is difficult to display arbitrary
sized parenthesis or braces, or anything requiring more than what can
be implemented using CSS borders.

I think all of this can be solved with one tiny change of paradigm.
Instead of having <fence> decide itself of its size (which doesn't
work with all kind of delimiters anyway), we could let the author
decide of the delemiter's size around <fence>. If we had a size
attribute, or something like that, with a list of predefined sizes
for for <fence>, authors could choose the appropriate size according
to the content. Different CSS rules could decide what to do for each
size:

     <fence size="medium">...</fence>

     fence[size="medium"]::before {
         content: url(open-medium-parenthesis.png);
     }
     fence[size="medium"]::after {
         content: url(close-medium-parenthesis.png);
     }

And, to return to my first point, elements following <fence> (like
<sup>) could be aligned according to the fence's size:

     fence[size="medium"] + sup {
         vertical-align: 5em;
     }

Fence markers could be implemented in a similar way, and then you
would no longer need a <fenced> element.

All this remains to be tested. I'm not sure it will work that well
with text zoom for instance. But it could simplify the markup as well
as it would solve the resizable delimiters problem. I know it's not
ideal, but it could be a workable solution for current browsers. The
manual sizing restriction could be waived one day if CSS capabilities
improve.

It doesn't solve the thing for matrix though.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/