[whatwg] Spellchecking proposal #2

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Fri Jun 23 22:09:41 PDT 2006

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:22:34 +0700, Lachlan Hunt
> <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:
>
>> Roughly what percentage of all use cases would you expect heuristics
>> and user preferences to give suboptimal results, and thus require the
>> author's suggestion?
>
> IMHO we should not rely on unspecified heuristics. In some browsers,
> they work rather well, in some they might constantly fail. Leave
> heuristics for invalid pages, quirks mode etc -- or document these
> heuristics.

Generally, that's true.  But since spell checking is only a user agent
feature intended for the user (it doesn't affect the page or author in
any way) and interoperability between one browser's heuristics and
another is not required.  Browsers should be allowed to innovate as much
as they like so they can come up with the best method that suits their
users.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/