[whatwg] WA1: Lists

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Mon Mar 6 04:33:35 PST 2006

The following are comments on section 2.8 (Lists) of the 2006-02-16
draft of Web Applications 1.0 [1].

The text on list numbering seems to lack conformance criteria.  The term
"ordinal value" of a list item should probably more clearly be a
definition (and not split into multiple places), and there should
perhaps be some user-agent conformance criteria regarding the ordinal
value of a list item.  However, such requirements should be careful not
to require a specific display when stylesheets change the display from
the default.

Also, section 2.8.3 seems to suggest that the value attribute on li
applies only to the first list item, whereas 2.8.1 says it works on all
li elements.

This section should perhaps also give error handling requirements for
list items that are not a child of a ul, ol, or menu, regarding list
numbering semantics.

Should this specification describe the type attribute for ul, ol, and li
elements that is in HTML4?   I believe it's widely implemented.
(Mozilla and KHTML implement it, anyway, although the latter only for
ol.  I'd test Opera, but data URLs don't seem to work in the version I
have with me.)

-David

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/  (which is what
    the document claims the permanent URL for that version is)