[whatwg] More comments and questions on Web Apps 1.0

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Mon Mar 20 02:59:33 PST 2006

Based on the 2006-02-24 version.

1.14.1.
The style and script elements in XHTML have a potentially anything
goes content model. Would it be appropriate for a conformance checker
to only pass style and script types it knows about (with the proper
content model for each type)?

2.14.1.1.
The spec should probably mention http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
draft-hoehrmann-script-types-03.txt or its successor around here.

2.17. & 2.18.
Are calendars and cards expected to be unstylable replaced elements
in rendering?

2.20.1.
When I read this, I had trouble organizing (in my mind) what I was
reading because I had no prior understanding of where the spec was
going. Up to this point, I had had prior hypotheses that were
confirmed or disconfirmed by the spec. This section would be a lot
easier to read if it had an introductionary paragraph stating the
relationship of rendering, the DOM, the data model object and data
submission. (Is the DOM being rendered or is a replaced widget
element being rendered? Is it stylable? Is the data model reflected
back to the DOM? What's the expected way of serializing the data
model and sending it back to the server?)

2.20.1.
Also, I wondered whether this functionality is best specced as part
of the UA or whether it would be better to ship it as a MIT/expat-
licensed pure-JS library for running on top of the lower-level JS/DOM
APIs. (Note: Considering what I wrote above, I don't really
understand what the aims are, so I may be totally missing the point.)

2.20.1.3.
I had trouble trying to extract markup-level conformance requirements
for stuff that can occur inside the datagrid.

2.20.1.3.
Is select allowed to occur in the block context only here or anywhere?

2.20.2.
Is command in head conforming in the XHTML serialization only? (It is
a phasing element in the tree construction section.)

2.20.3.
It why not use type="context" for declaring a context menu?

3.1.
"We could make this into a string value that acts as a Hint for why
the command is disabled."

I suspect that to be trouble, because general purpose code for
dealing with boolean attributes would need to take that special case
into account. Using another attribute for a hint would be fine, though.

4.4.1.
"Since all HTML elements can thus be focused and unfocusd"

unfocused

4.5.
Is onerror only a DOM attribute or is it a markup attribute as well?
Whose attribute is it?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi