[whatwg] A better name than <gauge> for the element that shows a measurement

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Tue Mar 21 00:19:08 PST 2006

On Mar 21, 2006, at 08:18, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the study Google did on Web authors showed that  
>> authors cannot spell the word "language", and I see no reason to  
>> believe that they might spell "gauge" either.


> But "metre" is the correct spelling in en-AU and en-GB, and so I  
> think much of the world outside of the US may misspell it.

According to my dictionary, meter (measuring device) does not vary in  
spelling. Meter (SI unit) and meter (music/poetry concept) do. So  
incorrect spelling is not a matter of AU or GB vs. US but a matter of  
having the wrong word (like 'their' and 'there' for many native  

Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi

More information about the whatwg mailing list