[whatwg] A better name than <gauge> for the element that shows a measurement

fantasai fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net
Tue Mar 21 08:39:11 PST 2006

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>    <meter> -- looks odd when taken out of context
> But "metre" is the correct spelling in en-AU and en-GB, and so I think 
> much of the world outside of the US may misspell it.  I'd prefer to find 
> a word without spelling differences between countries, if possible. 
> Although I guess, just like 'color' and 'colour', authors could get used 
> to it.

Actually, I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's the correct spelling
when you use it as a noun for a metric, but as a verb and as a measuring
instrument, I think it's "meter".

My unabridged dictionary here seems to think so, too.

meter (3) n. 1. an instrument for measuring, esp. one that automatically
measures and records the quantity of a substance, as of gas, water, or
electricity, passing through or actuating it. -- v.t. 2. to measure by
means of a meter.

The other two definitions mention the British variant "metre", but this
one does not.

FWIW, the hits on google for gauge and gage are similar if you search
for the words alone, but in conjunction with things like "fuel" or "steel"
or "measure", gauge comes out about an order of magnitude more popular.


More information about the whatwg mailing list