[whatwg] Canvas should be script-only, not an HTML element

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue May 16 06:19:05 PDT 2006

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Lenny Domnitser wrote:

> Creating a non-semantic <canvas> element as the only element that can be
> drawn on is backwards. Instead, a scripting interface to drawing should
> take any element as a context node.

While I agree that this would be a more abstract design overall, it is
unfortunately much more bug-prone. Implementations have historically had
great problems with features that overload separate concepts on one
element. The <object> element is one example of this; it has taken years
to even approach interoperability, and even now it is not reliably usable
across all browsers.