[whatwg] Rich Text Editor

Cow kinhinglo at gmail.com
Mon May 29 03:22:21 PDT 2006

Hi,

I was wondering whether the WhatWG have thought about having a
standardized rich text editor tag, like a rich text version of
<textarea> ( I hope you guys don't mind "feature requests"). At the
moment a lot of scripts such as TinyMCE take a textarea, hides it using
CSS, creates an iframe with contenteditable, then copies the contents of
the iframe back into the textarea for submission. Scripts like TinyMCE
can also be about 150KB. Instead of providing a very low level API such
as contenteditable, a new form control for rich text editing could:

* Be more accessible to those without Javascript and have standardized
keyboard shortcuts to perform tasks
* Provide a standardized rich text editor for developers and users which
is familiar and easy to implement
* No hacks
* Right Click > Edit in [ Dreamweaver, Nvu, MS Word...]
* Browser preferences could allow someone to always edit in rich text,
HTML, XHTML, etc.
* Allow browser features such as spell check to continue to work.

IMO at the moment rich text editing on the web is not very web-like - a
web developer can't roll their own WYSIWYG very easily, there are
browser issues and there are all kinds of different hacks, licenses and
bugs in different implementations of WYSIWYG. This could be a great
opportunity to standardize and improve the editing interfaces in blogs/CMS.

Khlo