[whatwg] Custom elements and attributes

Øistein E. Andersen html5 at xn--istein-9xa.com
Sat Nov 4 17:10:47 PST 2006

> I think conforming text/html documents should not be allowed to parse into
> a DOM that contains characters that are not allowed in XML 1.0. [...] I am
> inclined to prefer [...] U+FFFD

I perfectly agree. (Actually, i think that U+7F (delete) and the C1 control characters
should be excluded [transformed into U+FFFD] as well, but this could perhaps be
problematic due to spurious CP1252 characters.)

> But of course, there's the issue of what existing browsers do already. :-/

Hopefully, very few pages rely on C0 control characters or the explicitly undefined
U+FFFE and U+FFFF.

>> I [actually] agree with the intention that names should be restricted to (mostly)
>> letters and digits [...]
> It's not because I want to restrict names to letters and digits.

Actually, this comment pertained to the intention behind the definition of NCName
in XML 1.0, implying that at least the intention was not completely arbitrary.

--
Øistein E. Andersen