[whatwg] Custom elements and attributes

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Nov 5 04:50:04 PST 2006

Øistein E. Andersen wrote:

> I perfectly agree. (Actually, i think that U+7F (delete) and the C1 control characters
> should be excluded [transformed into U+FFFD] as well, but this could perhaps be
> problematic due to spurious CP1252 characters.)

Spurious Cp1252 is a real problem. In fact, incorrectly labeled encoding
is a real problem, and a thorny one. Draconian error handling in XML
solves this, but I'm not sure what HTML 5 should do here. It's worth
thinking about though. It's also worth reviewing the work the W3C TAG
and I18N working groups did on this issue since a lot of smart people
did a lot of thinking about this quite recently:

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect-20060412
http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/

I don't remember the exact outcome myself, except that it's a really
ugly problem that truly requires some changes in what options webmasters
give to web content creators.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!