[whatwg] XMLHttpRequest connection limit

Ted Goddard ted.goddard at icesoft.com
Wed Nov 1 16:06:36 PST 2006

On 1-Nov-06, at 4:42 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think we're starting to see some of the limits of HTTP being hit.

We're actually quite far from using the full capabilities
of HTTP.  We're definitely bumping into limits exposed by
HTTP implementations, though (in the case of Ajax we could
use control over the number of HTTP connections and HTTP
pipelining).

> Personally, I'd like to a protocol which allows communication in
> both ways.
>
> HTTP 1.2?  XMPP/Jabber?  Something else?

Exposing XMPP well in a JavaScript API would certainly be
interesting.  BEEP is another possibility.  However, all of
these would require protocol implementation and API
standardization.  If we can do a lot more just by changing
a single parameter, perhaps we should start with that and
then begin work on adding more suitable protocols.

Regards,
Ted.