[whatwg] XMLHttpRequest connection limit

Ted Goddard ted.goddard at icesoft.com
Thu Nov 2 07:51:11 PST 2006

On 2-Nov-06, at 4:48 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> FYI: The list for raising issues on XMLHttpRequest is public-
> webapi at w3.org.

Thanks, I'll bring up the topic there as well.  Changing
the policy on browser connection limits is lightweight
enough, though, that whatwg could be very effective at
realizing it.

> On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:34:24 +0100, Ted Goddard
> <ted.goddard at icesoft.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> I would like to propose that the HTTP connection limit
>> be standardized at two per user-initiated window. (For
>> instance, Safari is not limited to two connections per
>> browser.)  This should be a relatively straightforward
>> change in browser policy (browsers other than Safari,
>> that is), but it is a significant enhancement for
>> Ajax applications.
>
> I don't think changing HTTP is really in scope for the
> XMLHttpRequest specification.

Changing the connection limit from two per process to
two per window isn't changing HTTP at all. Perhaps you
are referring to the following text in RFC 2616

    Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD limit the
    number of simultaneous connections that they maintain to
    a given server. A single-user client SHOULD NOT maintain
    more than 2 connections with any server or proxy.

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

But what is the "single-user client"? Is it your router
with a single IP address? A single host? A browser process?
A browser window? In the case of a highly interactive Ajax
application, the client is the window. In other words,
there are perfectly valid reasons for allowing more than
two HTTP connections from a single process, well within
the guidelines for a "SHOULD".

Regards,
Ted.