[whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Sun Nov 5 06:08:09 PST 2006

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:57:08 +0100, Elliotte Harold
<elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> Is there anything else that stops every HTML5 document from being a
> well-formed XML document?

Well, the problem is that they would mean different things. Consider the
following fragment:

In a tree, that would look like:

   table

And not, as you might expect:

     table

This problem is actually as simple as:

   <!doctype html><foo/>

I suppose there is some subset of HTML5 documents that would mean the same
when processed with an XML processor... I don't really see any value in
imposing restrictions on all HTML5 documents to conform to such a subset
though. Especially as you have to support a much wider variety of
documents anyway.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>