[whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Nov 5 06:35:32 PST 2006

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Well, the problem is that they would mean different things. Consider the
> following fragment:

Meaning is in the eye of the beholder. In point of the fact, there are a
lot more than two different things the fragment you propose might mean.
Meaning is determined locally by each recipient for its own unique
purposes, which may or may not be anything close to what the document
producer expects.

The idea that the server can somehow impose its interpretation of the
content on the recipient is an illusion. It's never been true, and it's
never going to be true, no matter how any specs you write.

The syntax matters. If you give me the right well-formed syntax, I can
do what I need to do with it, as can others. If you give me malformed
syntax, working with the document gets a lot more complicated. My
concern is not from browser vendors on agreeing on one interpretation
that's somehow useful to them. It's making sure that they don't in the
process break everything else anyone else might want to do with these
documents.

Where's Walter Perry when you need him? :-)

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!