[whatwg] hash Attribute

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Nov 9 09:23:32 PST 2006

XcomCoolDude wrote:
> How about a hash attribute for all elements that link to external files
> (a, img, etc.)?
>
> It would allow you to pass an MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, or other hash to a
> user-agent for automatic comparison with the linked file.

A related proposal is:
http://www.gerv.net/security/link-fingerprints/

That proposal has the advantage that the hash can accompany the URL into
non-HTML contexts.

> I'd suggest a format where the hash algorithm is listed, followed by a
> forward slash and then the hash itself

To ease the implementation and interoperability burden, the smallest
possible number of hash functions should be required to be supported.

Gerv