[whatwg] hash Attribute

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 10:32:07 PST 2006

Hello Gervase,

On 11/15/06, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:

> Michel Fortin wrote:
> > I'm beginning to think that the link "fingerprint" method is best
> > solution because the hash is more portable as part of the URL. I could
> > for instance copy a fingerprinted URL right into this email:
> >
> >     http://example.com/file#!md5!b3187253c1667fac7d20bb762ad53967
>
> Indeed, that's one of the major use cases.
>
> > and a knowledgeable browser receiving this URL would know how to check
> > the validity of the received document. The two concerns I have with it
> > is that it somewhat distorts the concept of a fragment identifier,
>
> It does a bit; but the fragment identifier is unused for binary
> downloads, so there's not much risk of a clash.

Just an FYI.

I've been promoting the use of fragments for (binary) video file.  (Not
here... but privately and on one public mailing list.)

For example...

http://example.com/video.mpeg#smtpe(01:20:39:15)

Also, I've suggested (privately and on one public mailing list) the use of
fragments on video files for "pointing to" clips.  (I.e., "pointing to"
intervals of the video.)

For example...

http://example.com/video.mpeg#smtpe(01:20:39:15-01:28:14:50)

(Note that there are 2 SMTPE time codes there separated with a hypen.  So it
would be the clip, with in the video, from "01:20:39:15" to "01:28:14:50".)

(This notation was inspired by the "xpointer" fragments.)

See ya

Also, "!" is currently

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.