[whatwg] nav element attributes

dawn at dawnbudge.co.uk dawn at dawnbudge.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 08:57:58 PST 2006

Hi,

I'm quite pleased to see a nav element being proposed.  It will make things much easier for assistive technologies and potential improvements to search engine listings, as well as having more meaning than an unordered list.

I saw that there are no attributes beyond the standard HTMLElement ones, but I think this element could be made even more useful by providing an optional attribute called something like 'type' or 'level' that lets the author describe whether this particular part of navigation is the top-level navigation, the secondary navigation, page-related navigation, etc.  In my experience, these are either split out or nested to improve the user experience.

Another useful thing would be to allow nav elements to be nested within nav elements so that a sitemap could be described.

Is nav still in development?

Dawn Budge