[whatwg] Still beating the drawString() dead horse...

Stefan Haustein sh at kobjects.org
Tue Nov 14 04:22:23 PST 2006

Hi Martin,

the problem is that we need to draw the line somewhere. In my opinion,
stuff that can be implemented in Javascript on top of the API should not
go into the core API, because there are so many different ways to do it.

For instance, what shall the implementation do if the text does not fix
in the box? An alternative may be to have only a width parameter and
return the rendered height, but then the next logical step is to ask for
the calculation without the rendering....

drawString() has a clear and simple use case: Labels (e.g. in Maps) and
calculated values (scores, numbers, ...).

Everything beyond is a separate use case that should be discussed
separately. I think the main problem here is that drawElement() was
suggested as a kind of replacement for drawString(), but it is actually
something completely different, that should be discussed separately.
drawElement() does not really remove the need for a simple API. I feel
like asking for a scissor, but being told that a combine harvester is
much more powerfull... That may be true, but it is also a bit
unpractical, lets say for something like a hair cut.

Best regards,
Stefan