[whatwg] Still beating the drawString() dead horse...

Arve Bersvendsen arveb at opera.com
Tue Nov 14 04:57:54 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:22:23 +0100, Stefan Haustein <sh at kobjects.org>
wrote:

> Everything beyond is a separate use case that should be discussed
> separately. I think the main problem here is that drawElement() was
> suggested as a kind of replacement for drawString(), but it is actually
> something completely different, that should be discussed separately.
> drawElement() does not really remove the need for a simple API. I feel
> like asking for a scissor, but being told that a combine harvester is
> much more powerfull... That may be true, but it is also a bit
> unpractical, lets say for something like a hair cut.

drawElement() is hardly unpractical, bloated or overkill, since it's
actually probably the only way to get _somewhat_ predictable rendering of
text, pioneered by almost 10 years of CSS.

drawString() reintroduces the unpredictability of font and layout
differences without attempting to solve any of the problem.

--
Arve Bersvendsen