[whatwg] Significant inline and <map>

Shadow2531 shadow2531 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 07:51:40 PST 2006

On 11/15/06, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2006, at 12:19, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
> > Is it really intentional that the <map> element counts as
> > significant inline content?
>
> Map seems to be a block-level element, so I guess the question is
> implicitly answered.
>
> However, should <area> and <param> count as significant inline
> content? I think not.

begin<map></map>end

In Opera and IE, you'll see beginend. In Firefox quirks mode, you'll
see the same. In Firefox standards mode, you'll see:
begin
end

The default style applied to the map element varies between browser
and rendering mode.

Someone once pointed out to me that even if the map element has a
content model of block, that doesn't mean it should have a default
style of block applied to it. That is a css  issue though.

Anyway, yeh, if you put stuff inside map, it takes up space except for
<area> and <param> etc.

--
burnout426