[whatwg] General request regarding feature requests

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Nov 15 09:40:26 PST 2006

I'm happy to see the increased interest in HTML5 recently -- especially
with the amazing work Lachlan, Henri, and others are doing with the blog,
the validator, feedback, and so forth.

Since the volume of feature requests is only going to increase in the near
future, I'd like to request that feature requests be clear and include at
least the following information:

 * What is the problem you are trying to solve?

 * What is the feature you are suggesting to help solve it?

 * What is the processing model for that feature, including error
   handling? This should be very clear, including things such as event
   timing if the feature involves events, how to create graphs
   representing the data in the case of semantic proposals, etc.

 * Why do you think browsers would implement this feature?

 * Why do you think authors would use this feature?

 * What evidence is there that this feature is desparately needed?

Obviously, we want to keep the language as simple as possible. That means
not everyone will get what they want. Having clear answers to the
questions above will help all of us work out what is most important.

Cheers,