[whatwg] noscript Content Model

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Sat Nov 25 23:58:16 PST 2006

Hi,
   Hi, the first additional restriction listed for the content model of
the noscript element is confusing.

| When used in HTML documents, the allowed content model depends on
| whether scripting is enabled or not. If scripting is disabled, then
| the content model of a noscript element is the same as that of its
| parent element, with the following additional restrictions:
|
|    * Moving all the children of all the noscript elements in the
|      document so that they replaced their noscript element parents,
|      must not cause the document to become non-conforming.
|
|    * A noscript element must not have a noscript element as an
|      ancestor (that is, noscript can't be nested).

As explained on IRC, it's supposed to mean:

<Hixie>	i meant that if you have a DOM like  p -> noscript -> div
<Hixie>	then it would be conforming if and only if the following was
         conforming too:  p -> div
<Hixie>	i.e. taking the children of the noscript
<Hixie>	and replacing the noscript with them
<Hixie>	and checking to see if it still conforms

So, given that it already states the conforming content model is the
same as that of its parent element, I don't see how that is an
additional restriction at all.

I suggest that whole section be reworded like this:

   When used in HTML documents, the allowed content model depends on
   whether scripting is enabled or not. If scripting is disabled, then
   the content model of a noscript element is the same as that of its
   parent element, with the additional restriction that it cannot contain
   any descendant noscript elements.

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-noscript

--
Lachlan Hunt