[whatwg] noscript Content Model

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Nov 26 00:06:22 PST 2006

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> So, given that it already states the conforming content model is the
> same as that of its parent element, I don't see how that is an
> additional restriction at all.

Consider:

   <aside>
     <noscript>
       <em>Text</em>
     </noscript>
     <noscript>
     </noscript>
   </aside>

The content model for <aside> is "Zero or more block-level elements, or
inline-level content (but not both)". If the only criteria for
conformaance of <noscript> content is that it have the same content model
as its parent, the above snippet would be allowed. However, since this:

   <aside>
       <em>Text</em>
   </aside>

...would be non-conformant (it mixes inline and block-level content), we
don't want the <noscript> version to be conformant.