[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Thu Nov 30 01:22:29 PST 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 00:18, James Graham wrote:

> I tentatively support the idea that trailing slashes on
> "singleton"[1] elements should not be a parse error.

Me, too, and I'm past the tentative phase.

> I don't think it has any actual technical merit

OTOH, the blog.whatwg.org WordPress lipsticking drill was a total
waste of time from a technical point of view. It was purely about
public relations and politics.

> but I think it will be helpful in getting developer mindshare; a
> lot of people have drunk the "Zeldman Koolaid" and have the ideas
> of XHTML, clean markup, CSS, and conformance to standards in
> general all mushed together in their brain[2]. For these people
> (who I think represent the upper quartile of web developers in
> terms of commitment to good markup) the trailing slash in empty
> elements is the syntax of a new generation - it is a symbol that
> represents everything that has changed in web design since 1996 -
> as intrinsically useless as a fashionable designer label but just
> as seductive.

+1

Propaganda efforts are better directed at other issues than undoing
the Zeldmanian />.

> [1] I find that name quite confusing as it suggests there should
> only be one in the entire document.

They are void elements now.

--
Henri Sivonen