[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Thu Nov 30 04:15:47 PST 2006

Henri Sivonen wrote:

>> I don't think it has any actual technical merit
>
> OTOH, the blog.whatwg.org WordPress lipsticking drill was a total waste
> of time from a technical point of view. It was purely about public
> relations and politics.

As an alternative to being perceived as a "lipsticking drill", I would
prefer that others felt that an important part of the spec authoring
process includes what amounts to a feasibility study and hands on
experimentation with extant authoring tools.

I apologize if I've caused any ill will.

I do believe that efforts to keep blog.whatwg.org and other sites to be
valid relative to the current draft of HTML5 are important in order to
keep perspective and to provide an example for others to learn from.

Finally, I will express a bit of disappointment at seeing the WordPress
folks prematurely being labeled bozos, and am disappointed to see
portions of this discussion framed in terms that border on the
discussions of epic battles with Zeldman.

- Sam Ruby