[whatwg] Canvas lack of drawString method

Stefan Haustein sh at kobjects.org
Tue Oct 17 14:50:41 PDT 2006

Hi,

I would like to second the drawString() request.

It makes sense to have a simple API, but it should be balanced with
application simplicity and readability to some extent. Doing CSS black
magic to overlay text and a Canvas object just seems inadequate for
something like axis labeling.

As noted earlier by somebody else (did not find the mail...), we would
also need a simple Font object, but the minimum requirements seem rather
simple:

Font Canvas.createFont(String cssFontProperties);
Canvas.setFont(Font font) // set current font
Canvas.drawString(int x, int y, String text);
Font Canvas.getFont() // current font

int Font.stringWidth(String s);
int Font.getHeight();  // includes leading
int Font.getBaselinePosition();
int Font.getAscent();
int Font.getDescent();

Best regards