[whatwg] Canvas lack of drawString method

Alfonso Baqueiro abaqueiro at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 11:39:42 PDT 2006

Hello Charles,

2006/10/17, Charles Iliya Krempeaux <supercanadian at gmail.com>:

> Hello Alfonso,
>
> On 10/17/06, Alfonso Baqueiro <abaqueiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The canvas component is very promising, but the lack of drawString
> > method could be a great error for its success, this lack is a huge
> > limitation, how could you resolve this problem?
> >

> I believe that some people's reason for not wanting to add it was because
> of Accessibility concerns.

Although normal text in a webpage... or even a text image (with the "alt"
> attribute filled in properly) could be "read" by a person with disabilities,
> text embedded in the canvas element could not.
>
> Perhaps people need to think about how to add Accessibility to the canvas
> while allowing a "drawString" procedure.

Well a drawString method in canvas can be used for drawing the axis labels
or values on a dinamic javascript graphic, but is non sense an aural reader
read it, theres no way (yet) to read an image to a blinded people, there are
cases where is imposible the accessibility, is imposible for a blind to play
video games, and accessibility dont stop the video games creation. In the
case of images or the canvas the alt attribute could do the job.

See ya