[whatwg] Element name expressiveness

Michael(tm) Smith mikes at opera.com
Tue Oct 31 20:06:30 PST 2006

Alexey Feldgendler <alexey at feldgendler.ru>, 2006-10-31 20:54 +0600:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:43:37 +0600, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:
>
> > Personally, I'd favor <term> and <time> instead, or anything else
> > that conveys a meaning. That's especially important since these
> > element will have, most of the time, no noticeable effect on the
> > visual representation of the document.

Given that <xref> as used in other vocabularies is a general
cross-reference element that's optionally empty (if empty the text
of the cross-reference is generated from the title of element it
references), and given that the Web Apps 1.0 <x> isn't a general
cross-reference element but instead non-empty "a cross-reference
to an instance of the use of a term, such as a taxonomic
designation, technical term, an idiomatic phrase from another
language, or similar", <term> seems more appropriate than <xref>

  --Mike