[whatwg] Modal Dialog Box support

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 6 08:46:02 PDT 2006

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 01:27:28 +0200, Matthew Raymond
> <mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Rimantas Liubertas wrote:
>> [Snip!]
>>> Chapter 30 "Using Dialogs" in "About the Face 2.0" [1] by Alan Cooper
>>> makes a good read too.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://www.amazon.com/About-Face-2-0-Essentials-Interaction/dp/0764526413/sr=8-1/qid=1157449548/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-1456987-0371351?ie=UTF8&s=books
>>>

>>    So, what, we're supposed to order and read a book from Amazon.com in
>> order to know what you're talking about?
>
> You could always go to a library. I believe the reference was offered as
> something useful, should you be inclined to take the time.

But it would be even more useful if we got a short summary of _why_ the chapter
is useful reading material and what point it contributes to the discussion. At
the /very least/ something like:

Chapter 30 "Using Dialogs" in "About the Face 2.0" [1] by Alan Cooper makes a
good read too. It explains that modal dialogs are never a good idea because they
force the user to work on the computer's terms, rather than the other way
around. It deals specifically with the issue of databases and suggests ways of
designing the interface without resorting to user-hostile modal behaviour.

[note: that's all fiction, in case it wasn't obvious. I have no idea if that
book has even been published in this country]

Even with a short description, you have to bear in mind that the book may not
have widespread international distribution or may otherwise be hard to find.