[whatwg] Help with HTML5 Audio

Jeff Schiller codedread at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 15:39:45 PDT 2006

Thanks for all the replies off the mailing list...

This my just be an education problem.  Let me ask a few questions:

Do load events bubble up?  If so, can I add a load even listener to
the document and then catch the load events there always?

If so, how can I distinguish the target is of type Audio and not of
type HTMLImageElement (or whatever), just look for e.target.play?

If my understanding is not correct above (and I will test this later),
then it seems that the spec gives me no way to guarantee that I can
attach a load event listener to the Audio object prior to the song

Although this doesn't help me for Opera 9, I would like to propose
that the Audio constructor's argument be OPTIONAL.  If there is no
argument, then the Audio object is created without any sound loaded
and all play(), loop(), etc would just return (or return an error or
throw an exception?).  Then, add a load() method to the interface
(which would produce a load event just as the construction with an
argument would).  This also allows me to reuse the Audio object
instead of creating an Audio object for each different sound...

Thanks,
Jeff