[whatwg] Attribute for holding private data for scripting

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Wed Apr 11 05:15:15 PDT 2007

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> By the way, the reason this is not consistent with XML is that it would
> be just as ok to use a different prefix. By basing this on the prefix
> (which is needed if you want this to be compatible with HTML, etc.)
> you're moving the semantics from the namespace to the prefix, which
> seems like a bad idea.

For starters, you are misattributing the quote above.  I did not write
those words.

As to your point -- and  you so colorfully put it on your weblog --
"Standards Suck".  And in this case, I will argue that the current HTML5
spec leads one to the conclusion that getAttribute("mjsml:extension")
will work, at least for the HTML serialization of HTML5.

I did not write that quote.  I did not write -- or even contribute to --
that portion of the spec.

- Sam Ruby