[whatwg] Semantic use of the <font> element

Brady J. Frey brady at dotfive.com
Thu Apr 12 15:05:28 PDT 2007

That's an interesting one -  but the idea of semantics for html is to
use an element of meaning, which the font tag lacks in every case as
it's a visual not a content representation? This is the same failure as
using a span tag for your example, since span has no meaning. The sad
part here is that if you want to have a visual representation in your
HTML, you're going to have to use CSS or an image to display the example.

So span is just as bad as font in this case, it lacks meaning, though I
get what you're implying. Side note, there's no point in a break either
if you're using a block level element, which implies the structure of
the content.

In the end, you've got a header element, and that's what the html should
be displaying - it's the header of a document or document portion. How
it looks is not semantic, even if it's a visual representation of a
subject, that's the reason for CSS and/or images. If your way were true
I could argue:
<blue type="square">This is a blue square</blue>