[whatwg] Semantic use of the <font> element

gary turner gary.kk5st at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:39:20 PDT 2007

David Walbert wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2007, at 5:24 PM, Nicholas Shanks wrote:
>
>> My content goes something like this:

>> Helvetica</span><br>
>
> If the sense of the text absolutely depends on its being displayed in a
> particular font, might it be better to display it in an image? Helvetica
> and Arial are on almost every computer, but an image would leave no
> doubt, and since the content is, essentially, the visual representation
> of itself, an image would seem to me to be semantically appropriate.

Agreed.

Since the visual representation *is* the content, the font demo should
definitely be an image or other graphic object.  This has the further
advantage of being UA, platform and resident-font agnostic.  If the UA
is non-graphic, the user would still have the opportunity to open the
image in a viewer.  There is no such option if you're dependent on style
properties or upon the font tag.

cheers,

gary