[whatwg] Sequential List Proposal

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Apr 17 09:54:20 PDT 2007

Le 2007-04-08 à 14:42, Elliotte Harold a écrit :

> Sounds a little redundant with ol (ordered list).

It is indeed a little redundant with <ol>, although it is more
specific in the same sense than <dl> is more specific than <ul>.

> Also sounds needlessly confusing and hard to explain.

Having written the thing, I can agree with that.

> I'm not sure we really need dialog, but at least it's simple and
> obvious to explain to people what it means. The more abstract and
> generic we get the harder this becomes.

I agree it is problematic.

What I find silly with the current <dialog> proposal is that it just
can't handle a lot of trivial cases which would otherwise be perfect
use cases. It can't because you can't include non-spoken events to be
inserted in the sequence.

But then if you allow non-spoken events another problem arise: are
dialogs with no spoken part at all allowable? Should the document
suddently become invalid when someone deletes the last bit of spoken
text in a <dialog> and there remains only some timestamps or events?

So I tried to fix this by explicitely marking it as a list of
sequential events and allowing it to contain no spoken parts. But I
can't disagree with any of the critisism it got: the result isn't so
good especially because it's confusing. And I can't say I'm very

My conclusion is: there shouldn't be a <dialog> element, or any
element  encompassing the whole dialogue. We should let the dialog be
merged with other textual parts. An element to markup the speaker and
another to markup the spoken text and which authors can insert
anywhere there are spoken parts is sufficient in my opinion, and
would play pretty well with whatever needs to be inserted in the
middle of the dialog.

As an example:

say.</speech></p>

</speech></p>

Otherwise, the spec tries to draw the line between what is and what
is not a valid dialog... that should be the author's call in my opinion.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/