[whatwg] Web Documents off the Web (was Web Archives)

Dave Singer singer at apple.com
Mon Apr 23 16:06:53 PDT 2007

At 15:45  -0700 23/04/07, Jonas Sicking wrote:

>In any event, like Maciej, I think it would be great to have a cross
>browser format for this stuff.

Yes.  But to be clear, I think widgets and web archives are or may be
slightly different.

A widget package is a distribution package, I think.

A web archive is trying to say "this is what you would have
experienced (or did experience) when you accessed this".  This might
involve capturing 'transient' information, such as URLs, and
information in or derived from HTTP headers etc.

I'm the editor of the media file format specs at MPEG and help at 3G
etc.  The base file format on which MP4 and 3G and 3G2 are based
recently introduced a packaging ability, where each item can be
separately stored, named, protected, compressed (or even located
outside the main file defining the package).  It also identifies one
of the items as the primary one (the main entry point), which I know
has been an issue with 'folder' formats like ZIP etc.

I could say more if people are interested.
--
David Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime