[whatwg] Web Documents off the Web (was Web Archives)

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Apr 23 16:28:47 PDT 2007

Dave Singer wrote:
> At 15:45  -0700 23/04/07, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>
>> In any event, like Maciej, I think it would be great to have a cross
>> browser format for this stuff.
>>

> Yes.  But to be clear, I think widgets and web archives are or may be
> slightly different.
>
> A widget package is a distribution package, I think.

Hmm.. the difference is quite small. Would there really be any
difference if you added meta information about what URI and maybe what
timestamps the files were fetched at to the widget distribution format?

I guess the implementation could be quite different. One way of doing
archiving would be to store all files exactly as they came from the wire
in a container (zip), and then include information that map uri to filename.

Whereas if you were to use the widget format you would be required to
modify the downloaded files so that external references pointed directly
to the other files in the container.

/ Jonas