[whatwg] My case for Ruby-elements

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 12 11:20:16 PDT 2007

Krzysztof Żelechowski wrote:
> Dnia niedziela, 12 sierpnia 2007 14:20, Keryx Web napisał:
>> Today, in a private mail Simon Pieters said that HTML 5 will probably
>> get the ruby-elements as well.
>>
>> I had intended to write about this to this list and now simply will ask
>> if this is the case?
>>
>> Personally I have a special use-case. Being a theologian I would like to
>> provide historical documents in an interlinear fashion:
>>
>>   Kai  ho   logos sarx  egeneto (Oh, yea, it should be in greek font....)
>>   and  the  word  flesh became  (Literal translation)
>>   2532 3588 3056  4561  1096    (Strongs numbers)
>>
>> Imagine this page
>> http://www.studylight.org/isb/bible.cgi?query=joh+1:14&it=nas&ot=bhs&nt=na&
>> sr=1 with proper semantic markup!
>>
>> Of course, we theologians are a small minority of mankind, but the
>> CJK-languages will profit from ruby as well, right?
>>

>> Lars Gunther
>
> I have just encountered a similar problem, the difference is my problem is
> vertical.  I have a document in two languages; the document has internal
> structure (not just plain text).  My intention is to display this document in
> two columns with corresponding passages side by side retaining existing
> markup.

How would such a document be read linearly? Swapping between the two
languages? If so, you could use a structure like:

And style that with display:table-row and display:table-cell.

This might also be an interesting use-case for the ALT element suggested
on the public-html list:

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

I am afraid there is no way to do it because existing markup cannot