[whatwg] My case for Ruby-elements

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Aug 13 12:08:14 PDT 2007

Le 2007-08-13 à 12:25, Křištof Želechovski a écrit :

> The text is not interlaced but it is vertically synchronized in
> order that you can know which passage in your language corresponds
> to which
> passage in the other language.  HTML is unable to handle this
> situation
> except in the simple case where the text has no internal structure
> and can
> be split to passages that you can put in parallel as table data.

What comes closest to my mind when reading your description is the
side-by-side English & French presentation of Canadian Bills, like
this one:
<http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?
Docid=2333891&file=4>

I don't think Ruby markup to be appropriate here. But I can see how
reading effectively such a document could be difficult on a screen
reader.

I'm guessing you're talking about a problem a little more complex
because a table seems capable of handling that case fine (fine
visually, not necessarily semantically). Do you have any example?
(Preferably real-world examples.)

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/