[whatwg] Removal of Ogg is *preposterous*

Sven Drieling sd at sven-drieling.de
Tue Dec 11 06:50:46 PST 2007

Am Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007 09:27 schrieb Manuel Amador (Rudd-O):

Hello,

> Ian, revert.  This compromise on basic values is unacceptable,
> *whatever* the practical reasons you have deemed to compromise for.  If
> you don't revert, you will be giving us independent authors the shaft.
> And we will remember it forever.

This is a part of a bigger problem.

Today an important part of our culture is stored digitally. To not
lose this culture for coming generations it's necessary to have
fileformats and codecs for text, images, audio, video, ... that
could be used free independent of specific computersystems
and companies.

For example an UNESCO World Heritage Committee for fileformats
and codecs:

- Choose usable fileformats and codecs
- Set a deadline
- After this deadline it's not allowed to claim any kind
  of rights to this fileformats and codecs to avoid
  problems like with JPEG in the past.

tschuess
      [|8:)