[whatwg] The truth about Nokias claims

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Fri Dec 14 05:34:04 PST 2007

Stijn Peeters wrote:
> Quoting Ian, "[as a codec that everyone will implement] Theora is not an
> option, since we have clear statements from multiple vendors that they will
> not implement Theora.". So, in your wording, multiple vendors will choose
> not to develop one. Writing a spec while knowing beforehand that multiple
> vendors will not implement it conformingly still sounds like a bad idea to
> me :)

That may be.  But misstating that to say that they "can't" implement it
heavily biases the discussion.  They can, but they choose not to.  The
implications for the spec may be similar, but they certainly aren't the
same, and it also paints everyone's actions in a very different light.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."