[whatwg] Geolocation in the browser

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 22 08:03:38 PST 2007

Ryan Sarver wrote:
> I tried to search through the archives to
> see if the discussion had come up before and didn’t find anything, so
> please forgive me if it has.

Something slightly relevant has been discussed in the context of wf2 [1]

> We have been successful in exposing it through the Javascript DOM and
> wanted to start talking with standards bodies about coming up with a
> standard implementation to make location-aware browsing common
> functionality at the browser level. I was hoping to kick off a
> discussion around possible implementations and get the community’s
> thoughts on the topic.

I believe the Apple iPhone is supposed to expose some sort of geolocation data.
If it is half as popular as the hype suggests it may be, I suggest we try to
standardise whatever Apple have done (assuming it is sensible, and they haven't
managed to get some absurd patent, of course) since it is likely to become a
defacto standrd that websites will adopt and other devices will copy.

[1] http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-June/000149.html