[whatwg] Gears caching at identical URIs (was: Gears design goals)

Robert Sayre sayrer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 22:22:45 PDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Aaron Boodman <boogs at youngpup.net> wrote:
> [...]

To me, it looks like the caching mechanisms in HTTP 1.1 can satisfy
this requirement. I think Rob is correct that it adds substantial
complexity, but it is already required. I've been viewing offline
resources as things that are too expensive to revalidate. On the
server, this is the stuff you would generate with a cron job instead
of checking whether you needed to regenerate the output.

Basically, I think offline caches should respect the Vary: HTTP
header, and maybe more. Applications will need to do this right
anyway, if they want to function correctly in the presence of ISP HTTP
proxies (AOL, TMobile, etc),  corporate firewalls, and server-side
stuff like Citrix Netscalers.

--

Robert Sayre