[whatwg] Gears design goals

Andy Palay ajpalay at google.com
Mon Jul 2 09:07:21 PDT 2007

On Jul 1, 2007 7:15 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On 7/1/07, Andy Palay <ajpalay at google.com> wrote:
>
> > As for the burden to put apps in their own domain -  First it seems to
> > be an unnecessary requirement. I build an app, I choose a URL as I normally
> > would and I would hope everthing would work out fine. Second it doesn't work
> > well for environments where access to the domain is not possible. Consider
> > the case of internal corporate apps. People post new web apps using their
> > 'individual' internal corporate web server. They can choose whatever name
> > they want. What they don't have is access to the domain in order to do
> > this.  I grant that this scenario is currently not well supported by the
> > Gear's security model (something that I believe will need to change), but it
> > is a real use of technology.
> >

> I'm not really sure what this scenario entails, perhaps because I don't
> know what you mean by "individual internal corporate web server" ... can you
> be more specific?

If my experiences are not unusual, companies provide ways for their
employees, and groups within the corporation to easily set up their own
internal web sites. The company hosts these within their top level internal
corporate web domain, but they all exist under a single domain. For example
I might have a control over the path //internal.X.com/users/ajpalay and you
would have control over //internal.X.com/users/robert. There might also be
//internal.X.com/orgs/hr and //internal.X.com/orgs/finance.