[whatwg] Entity parsing

Kristof Zelechovski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Fri Jun 22 02:50:35 PDT 2007

A dieresis is not an umlaut so I have to bite my tongue each time I write or
read nonsense like ï.  It feels like lying.  Umlaut means "mixed", a
dieresis means "standalone".  Those are very different things, and "I" can
never gets mixed so there is no ambiguïty.  Since "umlaut" is borrowed from
German, I can see no problem in borrowing "tréma" from French.  I personally
prefer "&itrema;" to "&idier;" because of readability, but I would not
insist on that.
Chris