[whatwg] The issue of interoperability of the <video> element

Nicholas Shanks contact at nickshanks.com
Wed Jun 27 07:44:23 PDT 2007

On 27 Jun 2007, at 11:55, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

>> In my experience...

> You do not know what you are talking about. Firefox does not use OS
> image decoders.

And I don't use Firefox, so my point is still valid. Please don't
inform me of what you think I know or do not know, it is impolite.

For your future reference, Robert, the browsers I am familiar with
and was referring to in my statement about image decoders are WebKit-
based browsers, OmniWeb 4.5 (historically), Camino and iCab 3. I
avoid FireFox and Opera due to their non-native interfaces and form
controls.
Given your statement I may be incorrect about Camino though.

> We use official Ogg Theora libraries.
> No-one's suggesting reimplementing codecs. We're talking about
> integrating existing codecs into the browser, and shipping them
> with the browser.

This is only possible if the codec is free. I thought we were talking
about the problem of adding non-free codecs (namely WMV and MPEG4) to
free software, (possibly also involving reverse-engineering the codec).

- Nicholas.